Such sadness chief Seattle expresses. He has lost all hope for the unity of the Native Americans and the settlers. This speech makes me very sad, and very embarrassed for the way that the Europeans took and took from a people who were so peaceful.
When the chief describes the angry men of his tribe, I can't help but understand their anger. If my people were dying and my livelihood was taken away, I would be angry too. Such anger is not something that the Native Americans ever knew before the settlers came to their country.
This anger is expressed by the chief when he speaks about the ancestors of his people. He doesn't paint his face, or march to battle; the chief gives a warning to the settlers. All his people had left to call their own, were their dead. The last thing Chief Seattle says is, “The dead have power too.” I think he is fantasizing about when he dies. He knows that he will join his ancestors and that he will be able to walk the paths, and fish from the streams that were once his. Or he is wishing for revenge on the white man. But, I don't think that that is really the Native American way.
It is very very sad that it took so many years for the Natives to realize that the settlers didn't want to live in harmony. It is even more sad that they gave so much love and prosperity to the settlers, and never thought they needed to demand something in return. They shouldn't have had to. Had we shown the Native Americans the compassion that they showed us, maybe America's story would be different. After reading this speech, I feel as though I am living happily among trees, and grass, bushes, streams, rivers and animals that are made of the angry spirits of the Native Americans.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hailey,
Your blogs - both of them - are full of rich insights. There were a number of sentences that really stuck out to me, one of them was that the native religion wasn't "run by fear." I think that is profound, and very insightful. Thanks for the awesome blogs.
Well done Hailey. You have a talent for being able to get your message across clearly...good ones at that. I liked it when you would present interpretations of what was going though the mind of the Chief when he made some statements.
Keep up the good writing. If I may give a suggestion to make the layout of your writing easier to read, put a line gap to separate your paragraphs.
Post a Comment