This reading was wonderful. I think that there are so many different ways to interpret this, and there is so much to learn from this short passage. I really like the Confucius way of thinking and living.
In the first paragraph, Tzu-Ssu is speaking about the inner Tao. The Tao is inside everyone, but few are able to act in the way of the Tao. I love "the mature person looks into his own hear and respects what is unseen and unheard." I think that this is a mysterious passage, but at the same time is very clear. That the Tao is something that we may not understand, but it is in our hearts and we respect it because it is our human nature to posses the Tao. What we don't know is what we cannot know, and what we cannot understand is not for us to understand. Seems simple....
Later, Tzu-Ssu speaks that "the harmony is the Tao, reaching out to all things." Once we accept the emotions and feelings that we have, we are masters of ourselves. Harmony is reached by accepting our faults and our failures, by understanding that anger and sorrow are a part of our human nature. Our emotions are a part of us, but they do not own us.
In the last paragraph, Tzu-Ssu speaks the most profoundly. He tells us the way that a person who is mature spiritually and emotionally knowns their place. The cards that are given to us are the only ones we have. Our situations in life are lessons to be learned, but they should not bring us down from who we are. If we are poor, we don't feel sorry for ourselves or wish for another path, but rather we accept the path that has been laid out for us and we walk down that path in the best way that we can. This enlightened way of thinking and perceiving the world is truly astounding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Interesting thoughts. I dont agree with Tzu-Ssu, but thats life. The philosophies are mysterious and I dont see any way that mystery is beneficial to making people better...sometimes it will just give the reader a headache thinking about it.
^^^ Yea, but dave, if you didn't have mystery, you'd know what the weather would be like every single day from now until the day you die. What fun would that be?
I really liked the way you laid this out. You expressed it much better than I did on my blog. I too, loved the reading, but, well, I was writing my blog late at night and lost patience with it because I wanted to sleep :D
I likeed "but rather we accept the path that has been laid out for us and we walk down that path in the best way that we can" especially. This is what I was trying to get at in my own blog, but I think I misexpressed. Or something. I guess I described a totally stagnant society and I don't think that's what was being advocated, exactly. The way you described it is much better. It's much more of a "make lemonade" point of view. Great job!
Post a Comment