Critical Thinking: To me, critical thinking is a way of deciding upon ones views or actions by use of analyzing and evaluation information that one has learned, or knows to be true. Critical thinking is also about studying information that others have gathered, examining evidence on each side of the argument, and examining one's own way of reasoning.
One critical thinking question that I struggled with was that of my religious views, or rather lack of religious denomination. I took a course on World Religions last semester, and have done quite a bit of research on religion myself. Religions have always fascinated me, but I have never been able to pick one for myself that properly suits who I am. I have visited a number of different ceremonies for a number of different religious holidays and events. I have also spoken to a number of people of different denominations about their chosen religion. Lastly, I have read a number of religious books, the Bible, the Ramayana, a bit of the Qu'ran . . . with so much pursuit to find a religion that suits me, I have found that in fact, by use of critical thinking, no religion fits me.
I have made many decisions without using critical thinking. One that comes to mind is an accident that I have at a ski resort when I was twelve. I was skiing down a hill, going pretty fast, and I hit a little bump in the hill and it shot me a little sideways - I almost fell down. After this, I was a little shaken up, but my little brother wanted to go on this ski run one last time. Without deciding against my brother's wishes, and using my prior experience, I went down the slope one last time. Again, I hit the bump in the hill, but this time I fell down the hill and broke my arm.
Intellectualism: To me, intellectualism is not an intimidating word, but it does suggest an expectation. Intellectualism does not have a negative connotation in my mind. It is a word that suggests use of the mind that requires reasoning and critical thought.
Logic: Positive connotation. Logic means using the mind, and learned behavior to formulate thoughts and course of action.
Reason: Positive connotation: Reason means using the mind to look at both sides of an argument to decide course of action in life situations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment