Monday, October 27, 2008

Heraclitus

"Opposition brings together, and from discord comes perfect harmony"
This passage is really wonderful. I enjoy all of the short little quotes. This one I like the best, because it is true, and easy to interpret. I think so anyway...
This message is so relevant for all religions, although I think that many have not yet moved on from opposition.
Opposition does bring together, there's no question of that. For example, Bush opposes Iraq and terrorism, and as a result, American soldiers are in Iraq and could be close to terrorism as well. I don't know if harmony will be the result by the time the war on Iraq is over, but I hope that it is. A more ancient topic is the war that the Palestinians and Israelis have been fighting for thousands of years over the holy land. This war, if resolved, although I have no idea how one would go about resolving such deep-rooted anger, could also result in perfect harmony, if gone about in a harmonious manner.

"It is in change that things find rest."
I like this quote because it is perfect for the current state of politics and the presidential race. Change, is a word that both John McCain and Barack Obama have emphasized in their campaigns. And I know that we have strayed here from World Religion, but I think that finding something to connect with is the easiest way to understanding.
Barack Obama presents change in the way that the government functions. He wants to give tax breaks to the middle class, and raise taxes on the rich. Textbook democrat, right? Obama also plans to invest into alternative energy, invest energy into pursing tough, presidential diplomacy with Iran, and wishes to withdraw from Iraq by 2010.
John McCain offers immediate financial help to struggling American citizens, plans to end dependence on foreign oil (eventually), and wishes to establish a strong government of democracy in Iraq.
All of these issues are very irrelevant in some ways to religion, but do present an excellent example of finding rest in change. Change can provide new opportunities, and can eliminate old ideas. In these changes, we can find rest in knowing that our issues have been resolved.
In regards to religion, change provides a new consciousness to focus on. Whether the religion be Judaism or Hinduism, religion offers a new outlook on the world, and on our purpose. Change can provide rest to many difficulties some face in finding a religion that speaks to them, and in that, rest is found.

No comments: