Monday, October 27, 2008

Maximus of Tyre

I love this passage. It is so beautiful. Maximus of Tyre speaks very profoundly. "Let men know what is divine." I like this sentence, because it opens the door to understanding. People should know what is true and divine and beautiful. These things are meant for everyone to share and enjoy. Maximus says that he should not "further examine and pass judgment about images." Meaning that he should not judge what people consider to be images of god. That is my interpretation. Why pass judgment on those who worship the beauty of nature? Nature is beautiful, and can often be attributed to no one other than god, or whomever a person worships. I like this passage, because to me it says; accept everyone, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion and belief of religion. If this wisdom was universally attainable, the world would be so much more peaceful.

3 comments:

MissVirginia said...

I couldnt agree with you more!! I was told I have no integrity today by a Christian elder who is pretty consistent in my life, all because I said that I do not believe it is my place to judge a gay person. !!!!!!! I couldnt believe it and it shook the foundation of my beliefs!
I love that I stumbled upon your post, it makes me feel like I am not the only person "without integrity", or as I would put it, nonjudgemental.

LOVED your post.

wwhite said...

I enjoyed this passage as well it's nice to see a leading figure in any religion advocate acceptance of all peoples beliefs rather than work to further exemplify the differences

Elizabeth said...

I like your interpretation of this, it was similar to mine. There mere fact of judging someone is wrong to me and to add such a vulnerable subject as God is far beyond my comprehension.
No judgement people, we're all friends!